Hardware & Software
IT supports Rice-purchased computers (hardware) under warranty. Rice departments usually purchase computers and basic software for their faculty and staff. Only a few departments provide computers for their graduate students; check with your department's graduate student coordinator for details. Undergraduates are not
required to bring a computer to Rice, but most of the students bring a laptop and a mobile device like a smart phone or a tablet or pad.
- Rice faculty and staff, begin the purchasing process by contacting the IT Help Desk (713.348.4357 or
firstname.lastname@example.org) to determine which type of computer will meet your needs.
- Graduate and Undergraduate students, see Laptop Purchase Guidelines for Students before you buy a personal computer to use at Rice.
- Faculty, staff and students may be eligible for Rice discounts on computers and software purchased with a personal credit card (not a Rice purchasing card or Rice fund/org). Check with the approved vendors in the Technology Marketplace web site; if you need a code to get the Rice discount, it will be listed by the vendor's name.
Purchasing Software for Individual Computers
Rice departments purchase basic software for the computers they provide for their faculty and staff.
- Microsoft Windows is available on Rice-purchased computers through a site license.
- Before purchasing software, review the KB web site for free or discounted software titles, some of which can be used on the personal computers of Rice community members. See Software Available for Faculty and Staff and Software Available for Students.
- Faculty, staff and students may be eligible for Rice discounts on software and computers purchased with a personal credit card (not a Rice purchasing card or Rice fund/org). Check with the approved vendors in the Technology Marketplace web site; if you need a code to get the Rice discount, it will be listed by the vendor's name.
Requesting Software for Rice Classrooms and Labs
Software and other technology requests for Registrar-managed classrooms and labs are due to OIT in April of each year. In order to retain a stable environment throughout the academic year, there will be no changes to the classroom or lab software loads after the fall semester begins.
A current list of the Windows and Mac software loads on classroom and lab computers can be found on the Learning Environments website. This list will change every fall.
For additional information on software and technology requests for your courses, please email OIT's Learning Environments (email@example.com).