Help! I'm Getting a New Computer
Rice departments usually purchase computers for their faculty and staff. Only a few departments provide computers for their graduate students; check with your department's graduate student coordinator for details. Undergraduates are not required to
bring a computer to Rice, but most of the students bring a laptop and a mobile device like a smart phone or a tablet or pad.
- Rice faculty and staff, begin the purchasing process by contacting the IT Help Desk (713.348.4357 or
email@example.com) to determine which type of computer will meet your needs.
- Graduate and Undergraduate students, see the
list of minimum specifications (spec list) before you buy a personal computer to use at Rice.
- Faculty, staff and students may be eligible for Rice discounts on computers and software purchased with a personal credit card (not a Rice purchasing card or Rice fund/org). Check with the approved vendors in the
Technology Marketplace web site; if you need a code to get the Rice discount, it will be listed by the vendor's name.
- To connect to the network cable jacks in the dorm rooms, you will need an Ethernet cable (25 feet is an adequate length). Yes, there is a wireless network (802.11 a/b/g/n), but in peak traffic times, your data will flow much faster over
the wired network.
- A personal printer is recommended for students for the sake of convenience. Each college computer lab, plus the labs in Fondren Library and Mudd Lab, have printers. Printing costs 6¢ per page (black and white), but paper disappears quickly.
- Please bring a USB flash drive, thumb drive or other external hard drive to campus to facilitate backups and file transfers.Further questions can be directed to